Friday 31 August 2012

A Reflection: Great Expectaions

We spent as much money as could, and got as little for it as people could make up their minds to give us. We were always more or less miserable, and most of our acquaintance were in the same condition. There was a gay fiction among us that we were constantly enjoying ourselves, and a skeleton truth that we never did. To the best of my belief, our case was in the last aspect a rather common one.


It would be rather foolish of me to actually review this novel, as it is Dickens' work. However, I will say that my feelings towards this novel changed a fair bit as I read it. At first I thought it was a definite joy to read this novel-- especially having just finished The Kite Runner. But as I read on, and on, and on...I found that Pip's life is not actually that joyful, and while I did enjoy Dickens' writing-- I think the book is longer then what the story is worth (keeping in mind that I am reading this novel in 2012). I do look forward to reading another of his novels though with hopes that it is a bit more up lifting and faster paced.
Stay Tuned for: The Great Gatsby

No comments:

Post a Comment