Monday 10 September 2012

A Reflection; Wuthering Heights


It is hard to forgive, and to look at those eyes, and feel those wasted hands,' he answered. 'Kiss me again; and don’t let me see your eyes! I forgive what you have done to me. I love my murderer—but yours! How can I?

There is something to be said about the animalistic quality of Heathcliff. The gypsy boy who grew up with few people who loved him, is the one character who I found the most compelling in this novel. The way he holds Catherine as though he is mad/ has rabies and is foaming at the mouth (nearly) and bearing his teeth. In a very strange world-- this is what all women want (ba ha ha). A devoted man who can only be tamed by you? (very appealing)
I am not certain that I understand all of the messages Brontë is trying to convey. We never really see Heathcliff and Cathrine fall in love-- we just know that they are in love, and that it is clear that they are meant to be together. Yet, by denying this clear cut path to one another Catherine's choices, inevitably, cause for a very dark and unpleasent life style for many characters of the novel including: herself, her husband, her future child, Isabella, Hindley, Hareton, Heathcliff, Linton Heathcliff, and Nelly...so pretty much everyone in the family...

Also, there could be something hidden within the idea of genetic connection versus parented connection-- what I mean by this is, Cathy (the original Catherine's daughter) is genetically part of her mother (obviously), while Hareton is only parented by Heathcliff-- If the genetics were strong enough wouldn't the lust for one another have been present through young Cathy and young Linton-- or is there something to be said by the rabid way Hareton was raised.
I am unsure as to if I am even supposed to sort through these thoughts-- or if it is simply that the denial or submission to love is what shapes our lives, and I should be content with that. (I won't be...but I can move on to the next novel at least).

Next Up: The Hobbit

No comments:

Post a Comment