Friday 7 September 2012

A Reflection: The Great Gatsby




The Roaring Twenties...what an era. I think if I had to choose another era to live in, this would be one of them-- but only if I was rich, and only before the Great Depression. I have to say that the beginning of F. Scott Fitzgerald 's novel The Great Gatsby captured the fast-paced, flapper-esque feel that I never thought possible. I found the writing to be similar to the Charleston step, the back and forth of the continual dialogue much like the back and forth of the leg swings in the dance numbers. As we slowly are introduced to Gatsby-- the party seems to slowly come to an end. This is done with such eloquence that you almost don't even see it happen, until you, as the reader, stop in order to reflect upon this character and realize that there is a great sadness to Gatsby that seems to creep in and take an underlying tone to the story. Do we ever truly know who Gatsby is...not particularly, but we feel for him-- for his love for Daisy and his intense drive to live purely for her. I must say that the clever writing and captivating story is one that I will not forget, even if I do have five million other books to read.

I look forward to the new Luhrmann movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan and Tobey Maguire. The look of the trailer seems...interesting. It has a Hunter S. Thompson feel to it-- which could be interesting, however seems to lack the traditional 20's swing momentum and music, so I am not sure if it will be exactly what I hope it to be. Nonetheless, I will go with an open mind and hope to be throughly entertained, as I do like these three actors very much and look forward to seeing this story come to life (I realize that there is an older version of this film, however I am going to wait to have an unbiased opinion on the Luhrmann one).



Up Next: Wuthering Heights

No comments:

Post a Comment