Tuesday 6 August 2013

A Reflection: Of Mice and Men



When I think back to the first time I read Steinbeck I remember not liking it that much. This was probably because I was in grade 8 and we were reading The Pearl for an assignment. I can't remember the novel that well, but I can remember being overcome by a repellent feeling that I had while reading it.

Ten years later and I had that same repellent feeling while reading Of Mice and Men, but this time I was able to identify what this feeling meant. I think Steinbeck enlisted in me a range of emotions that I do not always want to deal with on a day to day basis. It's hard to face the idea of good people doing bad things, or the innocent being tormented by the more intelligent. As an animal lover I couldn't help but see the connection between Lennie and the animals that he wants to pet, and this tore at my heart. I think Steinbeck is a wonderful author who touches on themes in only 100 pages that other authors aren't able to hint at their whole lives (and not for a lack of trying).
 

Up next: Catch 22

No comments:

Post a Comment