Tuesday 9 October 2012

A Reflection: The Secret Garden


I think I can say this is a story that many of us have grown up with or know something about. I remember watching this movie when I was a child, but I was shocked that I have never read this book before.

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett is very lovely, with its subtle lessons that it presses upon the reader and the delightful  naïvete  of the children.

Burnett portrays the characters incredibly well and really gives the novel an over all mood for the reader. I think the unpleasantness of Mary and Collin are what have the delightful effect on the reader. The two children are actually very annoying, yet Burnett keeps their naïvete which in turn allows them to change and develop into children that we actually want to read about.


This is a story to be passed down.



Up Next: Persusaion

No comments:

Post a Comment